October 12, 2010

Calypso - 2001-2010

I'm not really sure there is a good way, an easy way, a nice way to say goodbye to a friend.  Because to me, just the word "goodbye" implies bad, difficult, and rough.  I have never been good at saying goodbye, and yesterday was no different.  
Calypso was 6 weeks old when I picked her up for the first time. I took her home to my parents and sat with her on my mom's front porch swing waiting for my parents to get home so I could show them their new granddog.  That hour in the swing was the beginning of a habit - Calypso's most favorite thing in the world.  That dog would swing for hours if I let her!  Not only did she love a swing, she loved riding in cars, laying around while being doted on by me or anyone near by, belly rubs, and the snow.  She even rolled up her own snowball once - no lie.  I have a picture of it.  She was a genius.  :)
After finding out she had cancer, I had to make a wretched decision - one that would be the best for her, but break my heart as well.  So, this past weekend, I fed her grilled pork chops, grilled hot dogs, oreos, and ice cream.  I sat on the patio and let her lean on me like she liked to do as you were petting her - to the point that she would push you over if you didn't brace yourself.  Yesterday, I kissed her goodbye and sat in my car and cried.  It wasn't pretty.  It was pleasant.  It wasn't easy, but it was best for her.  


HUGE thanks to Kelli Stuart of Kelli M Photography for these sweet pictures of my and my girl.  

5 comments:

Christina Anderson said...

Oh my word I cry for you every time I see her! I love you dear. She was so worth having around all these years for this moment of heart ache!

Cari said...

What a sweet post!! She was a good guard dog for us gals at Laura Lane! She will be missed greatly for sure. Love you!

Sisters said...

I loved seeing that dog in your backyard and hearing you say her name. I remember I had the hardest time learning to spell it when emailing you! ha. I am so sad for you. I love the photos you got of her and Jasper. So sweet.
AJL

O'Dell Family said...

What a precious post about your precious companion. So sorry for you, my heart truly grieves for you. Glad for you that you had a sweet sweet weekend with Calypso. Hoping your heart will begin to heal soon.

Anonymous said...

i LOVE YOU LINDSEY....iT WAS A HARD WEEKEND BUT, i AM GLAD TO HAVE SHARED IT WITHH YOU....LOVE THE PHOTOS.... AND SHE WAS A GREAT GRAND LADY... MY GIRLS HAVE THE GIFT FOR PICKING GOOD DOGS....LOVE MOM